The Student Newspaper for Montrose School

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Kate Pioch '22, Staff Writer

As a big superhero fan, I always scramble to see the latest Marvel movie, whether it is Captain America, Thor, or Ironman. In this case, it is the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, starring Chris Pratt as Peter Quill. The first Guardians movie left fans laughing hysterically, “aww”-ing, and even shedding a tear or two. Now imagine that on a larger scale, and you have a pretty good idea what volume 2 is like.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is probably one of the most humorous and action-filled movies Marvel has released. However, there are a few problems with it. First and foremost, it has a bit of questionable language and a few inappropriate references. Also, there is a good portion of sci-fi violence. So definitely check with your parents before you see it.

On a better note, Guardians 2 had the crowd “aww”-ing through a lot of the film, due mainly to Baby Groot. Whether he’s dancing to music while everyone else is fighting for their lives, or eating candy when their spaceship is about to crash, Baby Groot is definitely everyone’s favorite baby plant alien. I certainly look forward to seeing him in Guardians Vol. 3 and Avengers Infinity War. That’s right, the Guardians of the Galaxy are going to be in Infinity Wars next May, so get stoked!

Moving on, Guardians 2 is a movie that includes the old characters like Nebula and Yondu but also introduces a couple new ones. (Spoiler Alert! From now on, there are spoilers for the movie if you have not seen the trailer.) Viewers have now met Mantis, an insectoid woman who can read thoughts and emotions by just touching someone. Also, and probably most exciting of all, (spoilers—last chance to turn back) Peter Quill finally meets his father, as is shown in one of the trailers. For me, this was one of those “gasp” moments, especially when finding out where his father is from and what he does. I’ve already said too much, so you’ll just have to find out for yourself.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 also broke a couple of records. While most Marvel movies have only one or two post-credit scenes, Guardians 2 had five. Most of them were just purely for entertainment, but one of them sets up the beginning of what may be Guardians of the Galaxy 3’s villain. So make sure you don’t leave the theater until you have seen all five end credit scenes. Guardians 2 also broke the record for most Stan Lee cameos. If you do not know, Stan Lee is the creator of the Marvel comics and always has one cameo in each Marvel movie. However, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, he had two cameos. During the movie, while Rocket, Baby Groot, and an anonymous character are jumping from one location in space to the next, we see Stan Lee in a space suit telling a group of aliens about his adventures as a mailman, which is a nod to his cameo in Captain America Civil War. Stan Lee’s second cameo was actually in one of the end credit scenes. It still took place in the same place where his last was, but this time, Stan Lee was trying to call back the group of aliens, saying that he needs a ride home. The aliens, of course, were most likely walking away out of boredom. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Stan Lee’s cameos.

Even without Stan Lee’s cameos, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 would still have had me at the edge of my seat, giggling all the while. One of my favorite parts is when Mantis asks Drax if she can stroke his pet, motioning at Rocket. Mantis mistakes Rocket for a cute pet, most likely because of his resemblance to a raccoon, but every hardcore Marvel nerd knows that Rocket is a snarky, raccoon-sized alien that was originally genetically modified and turned out to look like a raccoon. However, Rocket is really an intelligent, sassy, talk-back smart-alec who would become a killing machine at a moment’s notice. You might be able to imagine Mantis’ reaction.

I could rave on about Guardians 2 forever from the comics, to the “unspoken thing” between Peter and Gamora, even to how this movie is another step in building the storyline for Avengers Infinity Wars. Obviously, the best way to know what’s in a movie is to go see it yourself. I would highly recommend seeing it in 3D because of the explosions, all the outstanding CGI, and especially Yondu’s yaka arrow. All in all, Marvel did a marvelous job with making this movie, and anyone who sees it will not be disappointed.

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

Action, Fun, and Excitement in Marvel’s Thor Ragnarok

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

Montrosians Star in “You Can’t Take It With You” at Xaverian Brothers High School Nov 17 & 18

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

Don’t Miss the Middle School Musical: Twelve Dancing Princesses – Nov 17 & 18 at 7 PM

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

A Day in the Life of a Film Extra

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Got Writing? Submit to these Writing Contests

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

Medfield Mural: Middle School Masterpiece

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: A Dog’s Purpose

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Arts & Entertainment

Mamma Mia Sequel: “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

Kick Off a Week of Poetry with Original Sonnets from the Middle School

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review

The Bard Returns to Montrose!

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Review