Thank You Seniors in Treblemakers!

Montroses+acapella+group+says+goodbye+to+their+five+illustrious+seniors+from+the+class+of+2021.+

Montrose’s acapella group says goodbye to their five illustrious seniors from the class of 2021.

This year, the Treblemakers are saying goodbye to five remarkable seniors. With all the sectionals, rehearsals, jams, concerts, gigs, and more throughout the years, these seniors have made memories and bonds they will never forget. Anna Sheehan ’21, Neha Sunkara ’21, Issie Russo ’21, Caroline Reichard ’21, and Katherine Keefe ’21 came together to recall memories and bask in the glory of their final weeks as Treblemakers.

When interviewing them, we first asked what made them want to be both a part of Treblemakers and the arts community at Montrose. A lot of them shared the same sentiment as Anna, who said: “I walked into Montrose knowing I wanted to join the musicals. I thought that the girls who did them were celebrities.”

Caroline had a similar story. She also had an interest in music and singing before Montrose and knew she wanted to participate in the performances from the start. “A life without music is sad indeed,” she said.

Issie also knew she loved music, and she fell in love with the arts community at her accepted students night. She said: “I thought they were so talented, and I loved how they were a part of the greater Montrose community, and not isolated.”

For Neha, it was the middle school musical in eighth grade that drew her to the performing arts. She said: “When I played the flute for H.M.S. Pinafore, I loved seeing the girls on stage act, and I thought to myself: ‘Wow, they are so cool.’”

Fast forward to their beginnings in high school, and these girls were all getting excited for Treblemakers auditions. A group trip to Bubbling Brook seemed to seal the deal for most of them. When Caroline talked about what made her join Treblemakers and the trip to the ice cream place, Anna gasped, recalling the memory. “I think Anna, Katherine, Issie, and I met at Bubbling Brook, and we were talking about Treblemakers. I thought: ‘Maybe I’ll do it,’ and I said to myself: ‘What’s the worst that could happen?’ and then this happened! So yeah, not the worst thing at all.”

Issie was drawn to the friendships of the group and remembered one year where the Treblemakers sang a parodied song to a departing senior, Erin Golding ’18. Issie said: “I really liked seeing how close everyone was, and how girls of all different grades came together. And sometimes there’s an age gap, but everyone’s still super close.”

Anna recalled being encouraged by an older high schooler to audition, and this single encouraging phrase really boosted her confidence. She said: “It was the best thing to hear an older girl say: ‘You’re crazy! Of course you’re auditioning!’ I think that makes a big difference.”

Katherine and Neha shared the same point of view. Katherine said: “I tried out because my friends were trying out.” Neha said the same and added: “I saw how welcoming the group was.”

Then, the group reminisced about their favorite moments. With Issie in agreement, Anna said: “The carpools are definitely my highlights, to and from gigs, that’s where a lot of the bonding happens.” Everyone seemed to love that one night when the group had dinner at an empty IHOP, and they also loved carolling every year at the Mandarin Hotel, where everyone admires the extravagant bathrooms and takes all the fancy snacks. Katherine’s favorite gigs were the annual acappella jams.

Caroline’s all time favorite moment tops it off, though. She said: “I liked the time when the Jordan’s furniture guy walked in on the soprano twos having a sectional.”

When asked what they will miss about the group, they all agreed that there is no group like the Montrose Treblemakers. Caroline said: “All of it. I’ll miss you guys, and I’ll miss all our shenanigans.” Neha said she will miss the group’s “banter coupons,” impromptu breaks in rehearsals when someone needs to rant about something. Anna and Katherine will miss the warm, friendly environment and talking with each other before rehearsal. And Issie said: “When we finally get the music to be as strong as we want it to be, it’s just the best feeling.”

Music has such an individual relationship with each person that when you bring a whole group together, it creates a unique, harmonious connection which never remains the same, as members are always coming and going. “Music is a universal language,” Caroline said. And Anna added: “Music and social connections are inseparable.”

“It is a form of expression that helps bond you to others. Like, we are 16 girls, but also a family,” said Neha. And this year, although we are letting go of five members of our family, and the group won’t be the same next year, the bond we made will stay with us — thanks to the power of music. We love you so much, Anna, Neha, Issie, Katherine, and Caroline!

Thank you seniors in performing arts!

Elyza Tuan ’23 and Lucy DeMeo ’24, Assistant Editor-in-Chief and Arts and Entertainment Editor

23etuan@montroseschool.org, 24ldemeo@montroseschool.org