Remembering Elizabeth Schickel through Service in Uganda

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anna Noon '19, Contributing Writer

February 12 is the anniversary of the passing of two beloved alumnae, Elizabeth Schickel and Dary Jacob ‘05. Although some current students at Montrose never had the pleasure of meeting them in person, they remain deep in our prayers and serve as inspiration for our intercessions.  Their influence of strength and love during the hardest times inspires the hearts of Montrosians. They opened each students eyes with their virtuous acts, when it would be much easier to be bitter with life’s hardships. They were  remember in the Mass at Montrose on February 12, which marked Dary’s twelfth and Elizabeth’s fourth anniversary of their passing.

Elizabeth remains recognized for her incredible character. Even Montrose students who don’t know her speak highly of her. Ayana Murphy ‘19 said: “the first thing anyone says about her is her kind heart and selflessness…that’s what she’s known for.”

Inspired by Elizabeth’s example, Mr. Schickel shared Elizabeth’s heroic, grace-filled battle with cancer with a priest from Uganda. This priest decided that he wanted to honor her name and story through a Nursery School in Uganda. In 2016, the Elizabeth Schickel Nursery School was built in Buchunya, Uganda, which serves over 100 children. Children in the Elizabeth Schickel Nursery School look up to Elizabeth with immense gratitude and admire her dedication to God. Watch Elizabeth’s Story and the building of this nursery school in her honor.

Currently and throughout February vacation, there will be bins in the front foyer and by the upper school lockers where all Montrosians, friends, and family can donate. The Nursery School needs teacher materials, monetary donations, frisbees, lightweight toys (non-chokable), rubber shoes (like crocs), deflated soccer balls, jump ropes, crayons, pencils, and chalk.

You can also donate to the school in Buchunya through the ‘Elizabeth Schickel Foundation’ by dropping off a check at the front desk or by donating online at elizabethschickelfoundation.org.  All donations are greatly appreciated. Your contributions to  by the Schickel family and all those who live and work at the Elizabeth Schickel Nursery School in Uganda because they are given the children in need directly or used to provide daily lunches (porridge) and other desperately needed items. Mrs. Schickel said: “Thank you for your prayers and support for such a worthy cause.”

• Remembering Elizabeth Schickel through Service in Uganda

Interpreting Your PSAT’s with Mrs. Foley

Arts & Entertainment

Montrose Christmas Concert 2018: New Lessons & Carols Celebration

Clubs & Classes

Montose Launches Christmas with Decorating Day

Arts & Entertainment

In Memory of Stan Lee: Marvel Superheroes with Humanity

Opinion

Thanksgiving in a Big Family

Arts & Entertainment

Play Review: St Sebs Performs Great Expectations with two Montrosians in Lead Roles

Montrose Sports

Varsity Cross Country Wins 4th and JV 5th in NEPSTA Division III Championship

Clubs & Classes

Becoming a Speechie: My First Speech Tournament, of Many

Montrosians on the Move

Local Adventure: Walk through the Medfield State Hospital Grounds for an Historic Glimpse

Montrose Profiles

Life as the Youngest Sibling

The Student Newspaper for Montrose School.