The Student Newspaper for Montrose School

Montrose Guide to Getting a Summer Job

Mariel Rosati '19, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Has the summer job hunt got you down? Don’t worry, The Looking Glass has you covered. I surveyed the Montrose middle school and upper school students to determine who works in the summer, or all year round, and to get their tips and advice when it comes to finding a job.  Of about 20 survey responses, 35% of girls have a summer job, 18% work all year round, and 47% don’t work at all.

Montrose girls shared their experiences and workplaces as well. Commons jobs include lifeguarding, babysitting, and working as a camp counselor. Girls also described job opportunities at Dairy Queen, Starbucks, frozen yogurt/ice cream shops and local farm stands.

Alex Rider ‘18 said: “During the summer, I work at The Longfellow Health Club in Wayland. In the mornings, I teach young children how to swim in three different half-hour classes. In the afternoons, I lifeguard. Sometimes, I help coach the swim team that I swam for since I was five. There is a children’s summer camp there, too, and I think that new counselors are always welcome. If you are lifeguard and CPR certified, you can also get a lifeguard job, too; just don’t forget to renew your lifeguard certification every two years! Jobs for working at the front desk are probably available as well.”

The majority of girls enjoy working, especially if they are doing something they love. Maddie Marcucci ‘19 agreed: “Look for a job you will enjoy and you can use your talents for because summer is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable not a burden.” Yet, even if the job is not so fun, it’s fun to earn money and save for long-term goals or treat yourself in some way.

One piece of advice for new applicants: “Put yourself out there. Have confidence and be yourself,” as Brooke Harrison ‘19 explained. Various girls emphasized how important your own confidence is in convincing employers that you are worth the risk. So push yourself to get out of your comfort zone. Smile, shake hands firmly, hold eye contact, and be honest about  what you know or don’t know while emphasizing your willingness to learn and pitch in where needed.

No matter what you end up doing this summer, finding a summer job may be a good use of some of your time.  You can learn new skills, make some extra money, and build the responsibility that comes with holding a job.

• Montrose Guide to Getting a Summer Job

Montrose Sports

Montrose XC Run Through Rainstorm & Hingham and Come out on Top

Got Writing? Submit to these Writing Contests

Sports

Varsity Field Hockey Starts Season With a Bang

Arts & Entertainment

Medfield Mural: Middle School Masterpiece

Sports

Montrose Cross-Country: Personal Reflections on Early Season Experiences

Montrose Sports

Montrose Volleyball Standing Tall: New Coach & Early Win Keep Spirits High

My Last First Day

Montrose Graduation 2017 & Full Texts of Valedictorian and Salutatorian Speeches

10th Grade Montrosians Build Online App for International Bridge-Building

Faith

Pope Francis on Social Media

Montrose Guide to Getting a Summer Job