Montrose Guide to Getting a Summer Job

Mariel Rosati '19, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Has the summer job hunt got you down? Don’t worry, The Looking Glass has you covered. I surveyed the Montrose middle school and upper school students to determine who works in the summer, or all year round, and to get their tips and advice when it comes to finding a job.  Of about 20 survey responses, 35% of girls have a summer job, 18% work all year round, and 47% don’t work at all.

Montrose girls shared their experiences and workplaces as well. Commons jobs include lifeguarding, babysitting, and working as a camp counselor. Girls also described job opportunities at Dairy Queen, Starbucks, frozen yogurt/ice cream shops and local farm stands.

Alex Rider ‘18 said: “During the summer, I work at The Longfellow Health Club in Wayland. In the mornings, I teach young children how to swim in three different half-hour classes. In the afternoons, I lifeguard. Sometimes, I help coach the swim team that I swam for since I was five. There is a children’s summer camp there, too, and I think that new counselors are always welcome. If you are lifeguard and CPR certified, you can also get a lifeguard job, too; just don’t forget to renew your lifeguard certification every two years! Jobs for working at the front desk are probably available as well.”

The majority of girls enjoy working, especially if they are doing something they love. Maddie Marcucci ‘19 agreed: “Look for a job you will enjoy and you can use your talents for because summer is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable not a burden.” Yet, even if the job is not so fun, it’s fun to earn money and save for long-term goals or treat yourself in some way.

One piece of advice for new applicants: “Put yourself out there. Have confidence and be yourself,” as Brooke Harrison ‘19 explained. Various girls emphasized how important your own confidence is in convincing employers that you are worth the risk. So push yourself to get out of your comfort zone. Smile, shake hands firmly, hold eye contact, and be honest about  what you know or don’t know while emphasizing your willingness to learn and pitch in where needed.

No matter what you end up doing this summer, finding a summer job may be a good use of some of your time.  You can learn new skills, make some extra money, and build the responsibility that comes with holding a job.

• Montrose Guide to Getting a Summer Job

Faith

The Real Story Behind Valentine’s Day

Montrose Profiles

Remembering Elizabeth Schickel through Service in Uganda

Clubs & Classes

Q & A With Contemplatives in Action Leaders

Clubs & Classes

Dr. Rainer Weiss: “A Ripple in Spacetime”

Montrose School

Dr. Kerry Cronin: From Boston College to Montrose!

Clubs & Classes

My March for Life Experience

College and Financial Aid Resources for Low-Income Students

Faith

Montrosian Farewell to Father Joe

Montrosians on the Move

A Different Kind of Family Vacation: My Trip to Center of Hope Haiti

AP Comp Sci Leads Montrose in an Hour of Code

The Student Newspaper for Montrose School.
Montrose Guide to Getting a Summer Job