The Student Newspaper for Montrose School

Cubs win World Series and Red Sox Fans Empathize

gunaxin.com

Meagan Flynn '19, Contributing Writer

The Cubs won the World Series in a tight contest against the Cleveland Indians. The final victory came after 10 innings, with the Cubs squeaking by the Indians with 8-7 runs. Since 1908, the Chicago Cubs have been waiting for this moment to reverse the curse. They won back-to-back World Series games from 1907-1908, becoming the first Major League team to win the series twice. The team has been in eleven World Series since their back-to-back win. The opposing team, The Cleveland Indians, facing the Chicago Cubs in the 2016 series, have not won a World Series since 1948, 68 years ago. This year will be record breaking for both teams. Boston Red Sox fans can relate to the long delay and the reverse-the-curse mentality that Cubs fans have experienced this season.

The Cubs curse, the Curse of the Billy Goat, began in 1945, allegedly placed on the franchise by Billy Goat Tavern owner, Billy Sianis. The curse commenced in game four of the World Series against the Detroit Tigers, who won by one game. Billy Sianis bought two tickets for himself and for his goat Murphy that day hoping to bring good luck to his team, the Cubs. When entering the park, the security told Billy that there are no goats allowed in the ballpark. According to legend, Billy threw his arms in the air and cursed, “The Cubs ain’t gonna win no more. The Cubs will never win a World Series so long as the goat is not allowed in Wrigley Field.”

Billy sent a telegram to Mr. Wrigley exclaiming, “For the next twenty years, throughout the remainder of Billy Goat’s life the Cubs would finish each season at 5th place or lower, establishing a pattern that would reverse the Cubs luck and term the team “The Lovable Losers.” The World Series would become a dream for the Chicago Cubs. This curse has lasted 71 years and 25 days. It has affected many fans of the Chicago team from both the past and present. But last night, the curse was (finally) reversed!

The Red Sox are not only connected to the Cubs in sympathy, but Red Sox fans have seen familiar faces in this World’s Series. The Red Sox decided to trade a few players to the Cleveland Indians to gain newer players on their roster. The Red Sox and Indians go way back with their history. Among the players traded to the new team were John Lester (pitcher), Mike Napoli (infielder), and Coco Crisp. Also, in 2011, Terry Francona, the general manager of the Indians, parted ways with the Red Sox after eight years and two World Series titles with the team.

Montrose students shared their insights (and blindspots) about this year’s World Series. Many Montrosians replied that they do not watch baseball and have no interest in it. When asking “who are you rooting for to win and why?”Vicki Driscoll ‘19 said: “I’m rooting for the cubs because I like bears.” Kasey Corra ‘22 added: “I like the Cubs because they haven’t won a World Series in a really long time.

To learn more about Cubs’ superstition, see:

All about the Cubs’ Curse.

All about the Cubs’ obsession with the number 108.

• Cubs win World Series and Red Sox Fans Empathize

Montrose Sports

Montrose XC Run Through Rainstorm & Hingham and Come out on Top

Got Writing? Submit to these Writing Contests

Sports

Varsity Field Hockey Starts Season With a Bang

Arts & Entertainment

Medfield Mural: Middle School Masterpiece

Sports

Montrose Cross-Country: Personal Reflections on Early Season Experiences

Montrose Sports

Montrose Volleyball Standing Tall: New Coach & Early Win Keep Spirits High

My Last First Day

Montrose Graduation 2017 & Full Texts of Valedictorian and Salutatorian Speeches

10th Grade Montrosians Build Online App for International Bridge-Building

Faith

Pope Francis on Social Media