Montrose’s Model UN Team Competes with Success at St. John’s Prep

Gabby Landry '18, Editor-in-Chief

Montrose Model UN has continued their success at their third conference, the St. John’s Prep Model UN.  Anna Maria Barbiellini ‘17, Mary Glynn ‘17, Caroline Churney ‘19, Jane D’Abate ‘19, Linda Chen ‘19, Ciara Young ‘18, and I spent the day in interesting and dynamic debate.  Throughout the day, we met in committees on topics ranging from conflict in the South China Sea to a trial simulation of Superbugs.

Caroline Churney ‘19 represented Malaysia at the General Assembly on the South China Sea conflict, a complex dispute still debated today.  She said, “I met new friends, learned more about the existing political tensions in Asia, and sponsored a working paper that was eventually passed.”

My committee was similarly interesting.  I represented Ghana in the World Health Organization.  During committee sessions, I worked with other delegates to discuss and propose solutions to antimicrobial resistant infections (superbugs).  My committee built momentum as we debated different facets of the issue: education, research, antibiotic regulations, and immediate and long-term solutions.  I worked closely and formed a bloc (negotiating group of delegates) with five other delegates—Portugal, Argentina, Belarus, Bolivia, and Cuba—from Xaverian Brothers High School, King Philip High School, and Phillips Exeter Academy.  Four other main blocs formed, and we ended up debating and voting on five working papers (draft resolutions).  To my bloc’s delight, our working paper passed as the final resolution.  The committee chairs kept debate running smoothly and on-topic while maintaining a lighthearted and fun environment.

The St. John’s Prep conference was an exciting day for all involved, and the Montrose MUN club looks forward to our next conference where we can again learn about, debate, and solve issues of international importance.