It’s International Week — Join in Contests, Surprises & Friday’s Festival

Maddie Marcucci '19, Contributing Writer

Italian, Spanish, Irish, Chinese, Mexican, Russian — these are just a few of the many heritages Montrosians cherish. This week (March 20-24) is International Week at Montrose, a time when we can participate in all of the traditions we celebrate individually, as well as learn about other people’s traditions.

This year’s theme for the week is Building Bridges Across Cultures. The World Language Department is also sponsoring two contests, both contests include middle and upper school students. The first contest is a poster contest. You can create a poster that reflects the theme of building bridges across cultures. For all of our creative Montrosians, this one is for you! The second contest is for our writers. The essay contest encourages Montrose students to write an essay on an intercultural experience that they have had.

Both the poster contest and the essay contest will be judged by a panel of faculty judges. All entries are due to Mrs. Demirjian in Room 18 by 3:15 on Wednesday, March 22. At the conclusion of International Week, there will be a festival on Friday, March 24 from 6:00-8:00 PM. The posters will be featured, and there will be lots of food, dancing, and cultural mingling. Everyone is encouraged to contribute and attend this festival. If you are interested in supplying food, a performance, or a presentation, please see Mrs. Demirjian or email her to arrange details.

International Student Coordinator and Spanish Teacher Mrs. Gorry said: “International Week is important to remind the Montrose community that its members come from a wide range of backgrounds. Connecting with other countries through hosting international students, service trips, or exchange programs has been a significant part of the Montrose experience ever since the founding of the school. International week is an opportunity to celebrate the diversity of our community, acknowledge the work of the foreign language classes, and learn from our international students.”

Our French Teacher, Mrs. (or Madame) Montes de Oca added: “This year’s theme for International Week is ‘Building Bridges Across Cultures.’ We wanted to highlight and celebrate the diverse backgrounds that are represented at Montrose and throughout the world. As global citizens, it is important to recognize, honor, and respect our similarities and differences so that we can not only learn from each other but also better understand one another.”

During Lunch on Tuesday, the Spanish Department has prepared some Spanish treats for the whole school. Be sure to stop by to get a little taste of Spanish culture!  On Wednesday during lunch, there will be a dégustation de la francophonie. This tasting will include French food and the showing of a video that all of the French students made for the auction, featuring all-French dialogue. Don’t worry — there are English subtitles. The Latin Department has also prepared some surprises for the week, so be on the lookout for announcements.

In addition to some added fun and treats to your week, International Week will provide a nurturing and growing experience for the Montrose community, to help us grow in awareness and in appreciation for the diverse cultures that comprise our school community.

Be sure to enter the contests and attend the International Festival! See Mrs. Demirjian or any of the language teachers with questions.

• It’s International Week — Join in Contests, Surprises & Friday’s Festival

College and Financial Aid Resources for Low-Income Students

AP Comp Sci Leads Montrose in an Hour of Code

National Honor Society Induction Recap

How to Hit Reset on the School Year and Get Back on Track

Montrosians Weigh in on New Spaces and Places

Got Writing? Submit to these Writing Contests

My Last First Day

Montrose Graduation 2017 & Full Texts of Valedictorian and Salutatorian Speeches

Dr. Mary McCleary Speaks at Cedar Wood on Professional Writing

10th Grade Montrosians Build Online App for International Bridge-Building

The Student Newspaper for Montrose School.