The Student Newspaper for Montrose School

Wednesday is Think Pink — a School-wide Event to Raise Breast Cancer Awareness

Maevis Fahey '21, Staff Writer

Tomorrow, Montrosians will don pink, as we hold our school-wide Think Pink event, to raise awareness for breast cancer. Posters will be scattered throughout the school, revealing statistics and encouraging prevention. Everyone will feel the buzz of Montrose being united as one, all wearing pink hair ribbons passed out in the morning. We thank all of you for putting heart into cheering our sports players in pink at tomorrow’s games. Please join enthusiastically in the Think Pink event!,

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month; and, unfortunately, this disease takes the lives of thousands annually. But, over recent years, thanks to modern medicine and research funding from nonprofit organizations, the number has been dropping. Some breast cancer statistics in the United States include:

• 12% of women are affected by the disease in their lifetime
  • breast cancer and lung cancer cause the most cancer deaths in women
  • 85% of diagnoses are based on no family history
  • 40,610 women expected to die from breast cancer in 2017

Within our own community, many of our students know or are related to others suffering from breast cancer. Keeping yourself aware of the disease gives us all a better understanding of what those affected have to go through, and reminds us to pray for them in in their time of need and suffering. During this month, all of us can keep those affected by breast cancer and their families in our prayers, asking our Lord to give them strength. We  hope you all look forward to this event next year.

• Wednesday is Think Pink — a School-wide Event to Raise Breast Cancer Awareness

News

The Secret History of Coffee

Arts & Entertainment

Action, Fun, and Excitement in Marvel’s Thor Ragnarok

Arts & Entertainment

Montrosians Star in “You Can’t Take It With You” at Xaverian Brothers High School Nov 17 & 18

Arts & Entertainment

Don’t Miss the Middle School Musical: Twelve Dancing Princesses – Nov 17 & 18 at 7 PM

National Honor Society Induction Recap

StudGov

20 Questions with Stud Gov Executive Secretary Nora Clancy

Arts & Entertainment

A Day in the Life of a Film Extra

How to Hit Reset on the School Year and Get Back on Track

Montrose Profiles

Encountering Narrative through Poetry: “History of Me”

Montrosians Weigh in on New Spaces and Places