A Review on Streaming Services

Since school has ended, many of us have been spending our time glued to our couches watching movies or tv shows. There are even reports of Netflix reducing streaming rates in Europe because the amount of videos being watched is too much for the internet to handle. There are so many different streaming services available that it can be hard to decide which one has what you’re interested in and whether you should invest in premium or not. The Looking Glass is here to provide you with the pros and cons of the most popular streaming services in the industry right now. 

Netflix: By far the most popular streaming service in the world, Netflix offers an incredible variety of movies and TV shows for subscribers. The first month is free and there are package options of basic, standard, and premium. Some of the most popular shows for young adults, such as Stranger Things and The Office, are offered on this platform. However, like most platforms, it can take some time for recent episodes of shows to reach Netflix. 

Disney+: Disney+ is a fairly new service that has Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, 21st Century Fox, and, of course, Disney. The platform also houses original shows that have become very popular, High School Musical: The Series being a fan-favorite. One thing that Disney+ lacks compared to Netflix is the sheer variety of available movies and shows.

Hulu: Hulu often updates their platform with new episodes as quickly as the day after they are first aired. However, the most frustrating thing about Hulu is its constant ads. Although Hulu is less expensive in comparison to Netflix and other services, you will be stuck with frequent ads between your movie/TV time. Hulu also has significantly less options than most other services.

Apple TV: Like most Apple products, Apple TV is targeted for buyers that already have Apple products. It is expensive compared to most other services, but it also offers really good quality movies and shows. Apple TV is most appropriate for those who already have Apple devices.

There are so many options for streaming video services and due to quarantine, they are being used more than ever. Also, there are some phone service plans that allow free video streaming plans, including T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. 

Erica Brown ’22, Co Assistant Editor-in-Chief

22ebrown@montroseschool.org