Senior Feature: Kasey Corra!

Adam Richins

Kasey’s ability to lead has been a quality well used at Montrose, as president of the school, co-assistant editor in chief of the newspaper, and captain of the track and cross country teams.

Kasey Corra ’22 has been a force to be reckoned with since she started Montrose in seventh grade. Throughout the years, she has grown quite a bit, out of her glasses and into contacts, and she’s learned not to pack glass bottles in her cross country bag. Let’s just say, when glass hits the ground, it breaks, and mango doesn’t smell good when mixed with sweaty running gear. But even as she’s grown older and wiser, she hasn’t lost that keen ability to lead by example or her confidence in dealing with those around her. In her classes, practices, and activities, Kasey has brought a positive attitude, a readiness to make new friends, and a vital sense of humor.

Kasey joined the newspaper as a copy editor in ninth grade by Mrs. Whitlock’s request. One of her favorite aspects of the newspaper was the actual print edition. She said: “It was really exciting then when it was in print.” Through the Looking Glass, she also learned to love writing, saying: “Writing is fun when you actually sit down and do it. It’s okay to dread something going into it, and then once you actually sit down and write it, it’s okay to be really proud of yourself.” Kasey has high hopes for the Looking Glass next year, and she especially hopes that we’re able to go back to the print edition of the newspaper, which has always been one of her favorite parts. 

Kasey is, of course, also known for her participation in Student Government as the executive president of the school this year. Remembering her first encounter with Stud Gov, she said: “My first day of seventh grade, I remember coming to Common Homeroom and it just being as exciting and competitive and joyful as camp [Mattakeesett].” Kasey brought that same competition and joy to Stud Gov this year, putting time and thought into every Common Homeroom so that it might be just as fun for middle schoolers now. 

Most people don’t realize the amount of effort it takes to make a Common Homeroom fun; it’s not just a matter of showing up with enthusiasm. Kasey took that time and thought because she cares deeply about making Montrose joyful. Before Field Day, Kasey kept saying: “I just hope people have fun,” (as she diligently Expo-markered the writing on the windows, which we had realized fifteen minutes previously was permanent and not washable.) Working with Kasey on Stud Gov has been a lot of work, but also a blast because she cares about what she’s doing. Kasey noted: “If you really care about something, it doesn’t matter who notices, even if the little things don’t always make a huge difference, even when people don’t always appreciate it… which is OK! That’s okay too.” Stud Gov meetings were Taylor Swift and laughter filled, and not quite at the level of the last meeting we had before field day where we whipped out the giant sticky notes. Nothing will beat the giant sticky notes. 

Stud Gov and newspaper were significant aspects of Kasey’s Montrose career, but perhaps the most memorable for her is her time running track and cross country. “I have found the most community and connection through sports, and everything else that I’ve learned how to be a leader in has come from the connections I made at sports.” As I write this article, we’re on the bus on the way to the championship meet for track and field, and Kasey is begging Eva to play “not sad songs please,” which is surprisingly a common occurrence: the ninth graders begging to play their emo music and Kasey just wanting to listen to “Meet Me at Our Spot” by THE ANXIETY (not exclusively, it’s just funny that she likes running to that particular song.) When Kasey was in middle school, the care of older girls in the team gave her confidence which she could then bring to others in other parts of her life. She said: “Watching the girls when I was younger be really good to us and very pure leaders who were invested in our lives, even when we (Kasey and Tess) weren’t very good [at running] yet, and so my connection with the bus group came from that confidence. Now, I have felt so loved and so happy to give that to girls on the track team.” 

Leadership has been a theme of Kasey’s time at Montrose, whether it be in the newspaper, Student Government, or on the track team. Her ability to make each person feel special and cared for is not only a rare quality but makes all the difference. When you know you are loved, you can have the confidence to take risks and make mistakes without completely falling apart. As Kasey reflected on the next part of her life, she noted what she would miss about Montrose. She said: “You just feel very known here. Across grades, people are interested in other people’s lives, and it’s just very familiar and comfortable and academically challenging but always welcoming and warm.” Kasey is off to the University of Chicago next year, and she will be deeply missed by all at Montrose, especially those she’s impacted through her many activities. 

Theresa Marcucci ‘23, Associate Editor-in-Chief

23tmarcucci@montroseschool.org