Thank You Seniors: Elyza Tuan

Amanda Russo

Elyza Tuan ’23, our leader in all things arts

“I know I loved going to Looking Glass meetings when I was younger. I hope it’s fun for the younger kids, too.”

Elyza Tuan, writer, singer, and actor extraordinaire, did not waste interview time on brags. We’ve all heard and seen her talent, from onstage as Maria in The Sound of Music to the Looking Glass articles in which she breaks down popular songs. (See Listen to Phoebe Bridgers right now! for an idea of her lyrical insight.) But Elyza, ever humble, did not point to her achievements. (A note on achievement: to fully understand her musical talent, stream her EP hope on Spotify as you read!) Instead, she focused on her hopes for the future of her beloved Montrose organizations.

Throughout her time here, Elyza has been an integral part of student life, rising to Looking Glass Editor-in-Chief, starring roles in Montrose productions, and Treblemakers leadership. A quiet leader, she is not one to run around with a bullhorn. However, coming from a fellow introvert, there are other ways to make an impact. One achievement that particularly encapsulates that impact: the beloved Montrose coffeehouse. 

The Montrose Coffeehouse

In 2022, Elyza brought the coffeehouse back in person. A chance for anyone to share a song, poem, or speech with the Montrose community, the coffeehouse represents a major creative outlet. Elyza — who took on the role of emcee as well as organizer — announced the performers, gave them a space to share their talent, and then congratulated them on a job well done. 

Her support encouraged younger performers to engage in a potentially nerve-wracking experience. A tiny middle schooler in front of nearly the entire school? What if they made a mistake? The thought of it could deter any would-be performer. But with her continued encouragement, she drew many young singers as well as older musicians. Madison Li ‘24, a coffeehouse participant, affirmed the encouraging environment that Elyza created. “No matter their skill level, Elyza was very enthusiastic with everyone that participated. She made the experience very comfortable!”

And, of course, Elyza also shared her talent. A particularly memorable performance: her rendition of Lizzy McAlpine’s “ceilings.” Her voice built up tension and longing so that all else was silent: the room was full of emotion, and all of our attention was drawn to her. And then, when the bell rang, she went to class as if nothing had happened. No bragging, just a smile amid a sea of admiration. 

Somehow, she managed to leave everyone proud, inspired, and a little in awe. All without tainting the moment with ego. Traits of a good leader? I certainly think so. 

Treblemakers

As Pitch, Elyza also played a huge role in leading the Treblemakers. Leading warmups and vocal exercises before performances, she ensured that the group performed their best. Her steady presence was certainly an asset; an essential part of a warmup is calming performers’ nerves. In the Treblemakers’ senior tribute on Field Day, the junior Treblemakers spoke to that steadiness, singing: “Elyza’s always had the right pitch at the right time.”

Besides helping the group perform at its best, Elyza also showcased her own technical mastery. She arranged the music for the performances, meaning that she created the harmonies and dynamics for each piece and then produced the sheet music. A fan favorite creation was a Taylor Swift medley, in which Elyza combined many of her popular songs. 

Was she successful? If you’ve attended any of the Treblemakers performances within the last year, the answer proves a resounding yes. From an audience member’s point of view, the group’s performances were polished and enthusiastic: a pleasure to attend. 

The Treblemakers, who have a front-row seat to Elyza’s leadership, agree. Treblemaker Lovey Moore ‘24 said: “Elyza’s joy for performing is so infectious and inspires us all to appreciate the time we have together. She proved to be a great role model for us all.” Judging by the hugs and tears that followed the Treblemakers’ senior tribute, the rest of the Treblemakers share Lovey’s sentiment. 

Performing Arts

Earning thirteen roses and starring roles in recent Montrose productions, Elyza has dedicated so much of herself to Montrose theater. But what kept her at Montrose and not a more prestigious program? She certainly has the talent, and she participates in other programs during her summers. 

Elyza knows Montrose shows are special. She said: “At Montrose, every year you do a show, the friendships get stronger and stronger.” Unlike at other programs, the same performers return year after year. The school’s small size ensures a close-knit group, which she loves. 

Her favorite show ever: Clue. Why? Again, she hailed the small cast and the friendships that grew from it. “We got really close, and afterwards we stayed close. That was really cool.” Though she looks forward to participating in college productions, she’ll miss the close-knit atmosphere of our tiny school. And, of course, the A&A stage will miss her. Perhaps an encore performance will be in order.

Finally, Elyza remained a cornerstone for the Looking Glass. A natural writer, she was drawn to the Looking Glass from the start. Her love for writing also complemented her love for the arts; from her first-ever article about Broadway to her more recent lyrical studies, she has used the Looking Glass as a way to explore the arts through a slightly different lens. She said: “I was really passionate about writing about arts and doing them, so it really goes hand in hand.”

Besides using the newspaper as an extension of her artistic prowess, Elyza also loved the community aspect it brought her. “I liked the idea of interviewing people because it draws them out,” she remarked. Her work has certainly done so. A notable article: Junior Year: Perspectives from the Class of 2023. Giving last year’s juniors a platform to share their stresses and struggles of junior year, Elyza both brought the pressure of the year to the spotlight and offered a thoughtful remedy to the stress. Having now lived through junior year, I can attest to the truths she wrote and their value for us all. 

Finally, as I inherit her Looking Glass role, I can say that Elyza has also become a personal role model. Watching her succeed quietly, make time to support her community, and pursue what she loves, I know that I want to lead as she does. From her, I’ve learned the importance of remembering others. As I move into senior year, with all of its stresses and pressure to focus on yourself, I want to take inspiration from Elyza, remembering to always consider the others, the younger students, those I can support. 

So, thank you for all you’ve done here, Elyza. We wish you luck at Boston College in the fall. Send us invites to your performances, and if we miss you too much, we’ll remember to stream hope and think of you! We know you’ll do great things, and we can’t wait to hear you on the radio someday!

By Hana Shinzawa ‘24, Co-Editor-in-Chief and Science Editor

24hshinzawa@montroseschool.org