Feb 1 & 2 7 PM: Catch Montrose Player’s Production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kate Pioch '22, Staff Writer

On February 1st and 2nd, the Montrose Players will present the original version of Shakespeare’s play, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” This play weaves satire, romance, and magic into one whirlwind of a comedy. As lovers in a romantic complication attempt to untangle their true feelings, the king (Abigail McAvoy ‘19) and queen of the fairies (Emma Judge ‘22) quarrel, and a band of bumbling actors prepare to perform a play for the duke and duchess’ wedding day.

Although Lysander (Rebecca Gillis ‘19) and the beautiful Hermia (Kathleen Corra ‘22) desire to marry each other, Hermia’s father forbids it. He had promised Hermia to Demetrius (Jennifer Uche ‘22). Despite the fact that Hermia’s friend Helena (Emma Barry ‘22) dotes on Demetrius, Demetrius spurns her devotion because he loves Hermia. Passion, confusion, and resentment ensue after a mishap with a love potion.

Meanwhile, a group of actors dubbed the “Mechanicals” believe their talents are of top-notch quality to perform their play for the duke (Ayana Murphy ’19) and duchess’ (Catherine Olohan ‘22) wedding day. All the while, Nick Bottom (Bailey Merchant ‘22) enthusiastically expresses his excitement for the play’s drama, eventually getting mixed-up in another love potion situation.

“I knew Shakespeare is always a challenge, no matter who is doing it… but meeting challenges is how we grow, and I just had a sense that in this time with our current set of Montrosians, Midsummer Night’s Dream was our show,” said Montrose Drama Director Mrs. Locke. Montrose students have greatly enjoyed participating in the production. “I know all my friends are in the play,” said Neha Sunkara ’21, “so being in the play with my friends and acting with them onstage is the most enjoyable part.”

And of course, the most exciting part of a play is performing the actual play which the actors have spent so much effort, fun, and smiles into bringing together. So again, on February 1st and 2nd come to Montrose at 7:00 PM to view this wonderful production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream by the Montrose Players.

• Feb 1 & 2 7 PM: Catch Montrose Player’s Production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Arts & Entertainment

Upper School Shines in A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Yet Another J.K. Rowling Hit

Arts & Entertainment

Montrose Christmas Concert 2018: New Lessons & Carols Celebration

Arts & Entertainment

In Memory of Stan Lee: Marvel Superheroes with Humanity

Arts & Entertainment

Play Review: St Sebs Performs Great Expectations with two Montrosians in Lead Roles

Middle School Field Trips: Museum of Fine Arts & Isabella Stewart Gardner

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Marvels Infinity Wars Part 1 – Marvel’s Crowning Movie

Arts & Entertainment

Broadway Theater Review: Anastasia

Arts & Entertainment

After the Final Rose

Arts & Entertainment

Justice for Timothée Chalamet

The Student Newspaper for Montrose School.