Veterans Day Reflection: Honoring and Thanking Our Heroes

The Lincoln Memorial on Veterans Day 2021.

Maevis Fahey '21

President Truman once said: “Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude.” Truman’s words rang true as we celebrated the sacrifices that those who served our country made. Veterans Day honors those who have served in the United States military, and is celebrated yearly on November 11, the day World War I ended in 1918. 

The Montrose community would like to thank all those who have served our country. We can thank those who have served our country through attending memorial services, volunteering at organizations, donating to foundations, or by joining the Soldier Support Club at Montrose. In the Soldier Support Club, we send soldiers and veterans cards, organize drives, and raise awareness of their bravery. On this Veterans Day and always, we thank soldiers and veterans for their giving spirits, lives, and acts of selflessness, to keep our land free and safe because of their bravery. G.K. Chesterton’s words hold their value as we reflect on the love that veterans hold for our country: “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him”. 

Mrs. Forsgard is the faculty member for Soldier Support, and her son, Erik, served in the military. Mrs. Forsgard says: “I always admired my father and uncles who fought in WWII and Korea. I worried about friends sent to Vietnam and later a brother who was a pilot in the Air Force. True appreciation of their gift to all Americans profoundly came home to me when I visited nations where people lived under totalitarian regimes. To see the fear of speaking what one thought or being stopped and asked for your papers was terrifying. I enjoy the freedoms I have not because of anything that I have done. We are free to think, speak and move freely and safely because of people like our son, Erik, who fought in Afghanistan with the ‘Wild Boars’ as part of the 10th Mountain Division. Their motto, ‘Our nation, not ourselves,’ is a statement that represents an idea all veterans believe. We owe so much to all of our veterans.” We thank Erik for his service, bravery, and strength, and thank Mrs. Forsgard for sharing such wise words. 

Montrose freshman Julianna Lennon ’25 has a brother serving in the military, and the Lennons attended the Veterans Day parade and celebration at Woburn center and prayed a rosary for all veterans. Maevis Fahey ‘21, whose brother also serves in the military, said: “This Veterans Day, I was able to go to the National Mall to visit war memorials and the monuments with a friend. People gathered at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to hear the names of fallen soldiers, and walked along the Reflecting Pool to see thousands of individual candles commemorating fallen soldiers. It was breathtakingly powerful, and emotional for many. Seeing so many people gathered together on this historical ground served as a keen reminder of how many people have fought to protect our country. I bonded with a friend as we traded stories about our family’s patriotism, and the veterans in our families who have inspired us and our daily work. I feel so lucky to have celebrated and commemorated Veterans Day in our Capitol, and it was certainly a day to remember.” No matter how you celebrated Veterans Day, we should all give thanks for these special people in our lives who have sacrificed so much. 

Grace Marino ‘22, Contributing Writer

22gmarino@montroseschool.org