Field Day 2023

Montrose+students+snap+a+0.5x+selfie+together+on+Miracle+field.+

Adam Richins Photography

Montrose students snap a 0.5x selfie together on Miracle field.

On Friday, May 19th, Montrose red and white teams squared off in a series of fierce competitions. This year’s field day theme was Wild West. The Wild West-themed activities included cornhole, two perennial favorites: tug of war and musical chairs, and two western-themed activities: a water gun shootout and a relay race which consisted of jumping in potato sacks, “riding” inflatable horses, and running on all fours, like a horse would. 

However, before the games could begin, a few field day traditions took place. The day started off with Senior Wills which is when seniors acknowledge each of their teachers, and they leave them a “will in the form of students,” in other words, leaving them with students who, for example, don’t spill their guts during question of the day (yes, this was one of the wills for Mrs. Juge). 

After Enrichment, it was time for senior skits. For senior skits, each class prepares a short skit where they honor each senior. Most grades assign each student to play one senior where they take that senior’s personality traits to “turn into them” and place them all into a scene together. I vividly remember my senior skit from seventh grade where we each played a senior, and the scene was “if the seniors were stuck together on a deserted island.” At Montrose, it’s tradition for the juniors to make a slideshow with pictures of each senior which played after all of the other grades presented their senior skits. 

After the senior skits, the best part of field day began: the fierce competitive games. For these games, two groups representing the white team go up against two from the red team. My group began with the water gun shootout. Due to the smaller size of our white teams, we were outnumbered twelve to nineteen. Working as a team, however, we were able to get everyone out on the red team, winning the round. 

The rest of the games went very well, and after they were over, it was time for the teacher hunt. Throughout the school, teachers were hiding, waiting for teams to find them, so they could receive a coin — and therefore points for their team. Teachers were EVERYWHERE, from tables, to crawl spaces, and even in trash cans. 

After lunch, it was time for the grand reveal of which team won field day. This year, the winners were the red team. As a “totally unbiased” and proud member of the white team, I can say that white team will be back next year! 

By Kristina Klauzinski ‘24, Sports Editor

24kklauzinski@montroseschool.org