10 Tips to Get Work Done Effectively

Whiteboards with written-out tasks and “get ready, do, done” posters can help you work more efficiently.

Cecilia Ashenuga '24

Getting work done is hard. Even completing small tasks can be a hurdle. So, I did lots of research so you didn’t have to, and I rounded up the top ten study tips to get work done effectively. And whether you are a sixth-grader or a senior, the following study tips will help you gain more control of your life.

1. Go to Ms. Slocum. I went to the Media Center before Christmas break and grabbed a couple of Ms. Slocum’s handouts and made her Get Ready, Do, Done tri-fold folder. Her tips and tricks have definitely helped me to get small tasks, like a single math problem, to large projects — like NHD — done. 

2. Plan out your day before you get to work. Instead of randomly starting to write an essay, plan out your day. Write down any activities you have and estimate how long it will take you to complete each assignment. I always start with the hardest assignment so I get it out of the way. Make sure to leave time for breaks in between study bursts.

3. Get Ready, Do, Done. One of Ms. Slocum’s tricks was a ready-do-done poster. I made one in the media center after school and used it to help me complete NHD. You start by writing your goal in the Done Column. Next, write the things you have to do to get your goal completed in the done column, and lastly, write the materials you will need to get ready in the first column.

4. Pomodoro. The Pomodoro method is one of the most important techniques for me. The Pomodoro method is a method for students, perfectionists, and especially procrastinators. First, get your to-do list and a timer. Set a 25-minute timer and get to work. After 25 minutes, take a break and repeat the cycle until your work is done. 

5. Figure out what type of learner you are. It might take a while, but figuring out what type of learner you are will help you know how to study. I am a visual learner, so I study using visuals and videos. Some people are auditory learners, so maybe listening to an audiobook or a podcast is the best way for them to learn. 

6. Find a space that works for you — don’t just plop down on the kitchen table and expect to be able to get work done!

7. Simply sit and let your mind wander. It is always a good idea to take a break. But instead of heading straight for that phone, just let your mind relax and decompress. This will help give your brain a much-needed break so that you are much more focused when you begin another study burst. 

8. Take away distracting items (or people.) As much as I love my dog and my phone, they are distracting and allow me to procrastinate more rather than complete a task. So I place my phone on the charging dock downstairs and hand my dog off to my brother so I can get to work in peace and quiet. 

9. Give yourself a mini-deadline for each task. Without set deadlines, projects will get done last minute. So give yourself some deadlines. Maybe you will finish the research by tomorrow and complete the rough draft by the next week. Deadlines help to keep you accountable for your work. 

10. Reward! I love Swedish fish, so when I finish a task, I reward myself. Remember you deserve a treat after all the hard work you put in. 

Now get to work with these new tips and tricks, and good luck!!

By Cecilia Ashenuga ‘24, Food & Wellness and Social Media Editor

24cashenuga@montroseschool.org