The Student Newspaper for Montrose School

Mrs. McAvoy: The Face Behind the Front Desk

Meagan Flynn '19, Contributing Writer

Everyone is aware who Mrs. Howard is and what she has done for Montrose; however, Mrs. McAvoy plays an important role, too. Her main role is the Front Office Assistant, but she also serves in other roles at Montrose, such as Advancement Assistant and temporary Assistant to the Head of School. She has some very important jobs, especially with creating “Today at Montrose” to give students information about the next day’s events. Mrs. McAvoy shows so much love to Montrose, and we are lucky to have her here!

I recently met up with Mrs. McAvoy and asked her a few questions:

1. What is your role at Montrose?

A: My main job is Front Office Assistant. I am also an Advancement Assistant and am acting temporarily as Assistant to Head of School which are all part-time roles.

2.  What is your background?

A: Before coming to Montrose, I worked for over 20 years as Assistant to Head of School at the Solomon Schechter Day School in Newton and Assistant to the Executive Director at The Walker School in Needham. Prior to that, I worked at a small professional search and resume writing business. I was fortunate to be a stay-at-home mom for many years raising my 4 children. I now have 7 grandchildren, including 7-and-a-half-year-old triplets. I studied computer science in college.

3.  How long have you worked at Montrose?

A: I “retired” on 8/31/11 and started at Montrose on 9/1/11–the next day!  It will be my 6th anniversary on September 1.

4.  What is your ordinary day like?

A: At the front desk, I answer phones, direct calls, take messages, greet visitors, prepare “Today at Montrose” with Mrs. Howard and distribute that bulletin, lock up the Chapel at the end of the day and check that outside doors are locked.  I also fill in when Mrs. Howard has time off and assist with any projects that come my way, i.e. mailings, folding programs, data entry, etc. In the Advancement Office, I prepare thank you letters, work on the database, help with mailings and other projects as needed.
I am working temporarily as a liaison on behalf of Dr. Bohlin and helping with some of her projects.

5.  Hours of working?

A: I work 1:00-5:30 at the front desk on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  I work for the Advancement Office between 2-10 flexible hours per week, depending on needs and, for now, about 10-12 flexible hours per week for Dr. Bohlin.

6. What is your favorite part of the day/job?

A: I enjoy interacting with the students, parents and anyone who comes through the door–it’s a pleasure to get to know you all. I also enjoy chatting with Father Dick!  He never fails to make me laugh!

7. Fun/funny stories to share?

A: Do you know how you say “goodbye” after talking on the phone with someone?  One day when I was making an announcement to the entire school, I gave my little speech and then said “goodbye.” Maybe you all thought I was leaving?  I laughed about that one.
I also get a big kick out of the students when they come to the front desk and just kind of hang over the counter/shelf there.  I know they are sniffing around for chocolate.  (Can’t say that I blame them!)

• Mrs. McAvoy: The Face Behind the Front Desk

Montrose Profiles

Encountering Narrative through Poetry: “History of Me”

My Last First Day

Montrose Profiles

Ideas Worth Spreading: Two Montrosians Give TEDx Talks at Burlington High School

Faith

Adopted: An Open Letter to my Biological Parents

Arts & Entertainment

Alum Feature: Tiffany Landry ’13 – Excellence in Art

Montrose Profiles

Father-Daughter Bagel Breakfast: Beloved Montrose Tradition a Great Success!

Montrose Profiles

Varsity Basketball Concludes Season at Semifinals

Montrose Profiles

Life Portrait Speaker Sarah Smith Bascle ’03 Testifies to Perseverance and Faith

Students and Alum Connect at Professional Forum

Montrose Profiles

Feature: Clare Melley ’19 – Balancing School and Dance