Rising Freshmen Complete the Daunting Course Selection Forms

It’s hard to believe but we only have about three weeks left of school. Many high schoolers are taking AP and qualifying exams for next year’s classes, but for the eighth graders, it is all about course selection time. 

I don’t know about you, but I find dinner buffets overwhelming. There are too many choices, So when I opened my course selection form, I felt like I was at an all-you-can-eat buffet with way too many appetizers.

There are so many different options for courses in your first year of high school. I love to sing, draw, learn new languages, and play the violin. How could I possibly choose between these courses and still be a staff member on the Looking Glass and take the stage in the school musical? I have been offered the opportunity to do all of these things, but in reality, I can only choose a certain number. In order to complete my form, I needed to reflect, recalibrate, and respond so I could decide what was best for me. The decision was very difficult but I chose to take Latin II and Spanish. I will admit I have taken Spanish before, but I really only learned how to say “hello,” “goodbye,” and “hamburger with cheese.” Many of my friends have chosen to pursue Latin II and modern language — French or Spanish.

Choosing whether or not to take Latin II generated a lot of discussion amongst my peers. “I don’t want to do Latin II next year because this year’s Latin class was very confusing and hard,” said Laurel Kelly ‘24. Contrary to Laurel, I found Latin class this year to be very fun, entertaining, and educational. I will admit that at the beginning of the year, I was a little intimidated.  Ms Chiodini gave us a speech that was burned in my brain.  She said, “In Latin, there is a bandwagon. Not doing your homework, doing poorly on tests, and not caring about this class will make you fall off the bandwagon. It is very difficult to get back on the wagon.” Ms Chiodini meant this in the best possible way; she inspired me to study so I could stay on the bandwagon. I was, and still am, all in. Next year, the people joining me in Latin II will have Mrs. Demirjian. Our class this year was very lively and I am so excited to have them in my new class with Mrs. Demirjian. The students in Mrs. Demirjian’s Latin I class shower her with praise. This confirms that my Latin experience next year will be memorable. Mrs. Demirjian, you have some devoted Latin scholars from the “Chiodini Cult” coming your way!

Many members of the Class of 2024 face other mountains to contemplate — choosing to conquer honors-level classes. When completing my course selection form, I had a panic attack. How do I do an honors class and two languages to boot? How many honors classes can I take? How many headaches will I have each day as a result ?  Luckily, we are in the hands of our amazing teachers who know our strengths very well and know what is best for us. Everyday, my mom gives this advice: “Don’t be stressed. Your applications for medical school are not due tomorrow.”  What she is really saying is that we should love learning, and we don’t have to be perfect all the time in middle school or in life.

Being Montrosions means we aren’t afraid of challenges.  I say to you, “Assume the warrior pose now so you are ready for Mrs.Whitlock! Remember that we are all called to greatness. The Class of 2024 is ready for the next chapter of our lives!”

Kate Novack ’24, Middle School Editor

24cnovack@montroseschool.org