Making Montrose History: The Varsity Soccer Team Wins NEPSAC

The Montrose soccer team celebrates their NEPSAC win at Rivers.

Mrs. Langhurst

The Montrose soccer team celebrates their NEPSAC win at Rivers.

The Montrose Varsity Soccer team had an eventful and amazing season. We started the season off strong with a seven game win streak. We faced tough out-of-league opponents who forced us to play at a higher level and ultimately made our team stronger. We remained undefeated in the IGC and got a bypass in the quarterfinals to advance to the semifinals where we crushed Waring 9-0 on Miracle field. However, we suffered a tough loss to Landmark in the IGC finals. The game was a close one, tied 1-1 into overtime. After playing ten minutes of overtime, we headed into the dreaded penalty shootout to determine the winner. Unfortunately, we lost in penalty kicks and felt defeated as we watched Landmark hoist the IGC trophy. However, we did not give up and hoped that we could continue our season by qualifying for the NEPSAC tournament. 

Fortunately, we qualified, securing the second seed, and our hope was restored. We did not take the opportunity for granted and worked hard in the practices leading up to the quarterfinals. Spurred by the cheers of energetic Montrose fans at Miracle field, we beat Williams School 5-0 and moved on to the semi-finals where we would face our rivals: Lexington Christian Academy. 

Earlier in the season, we had lost to LCA 2-1, so we anticipated a competitive semi-final game and knew we would have to come out strong. LCA was the defending NEPSAC Class D champion, so they wanted to take back the title again. Because we were the higher seed, we faced off against LCA at Miracle Field on Saturday. The Montrose community was so supportive, and many amazing fans came out on the chilly day to cheer us on. We came out strong and confident and scored within the first few minutes of the game. We were able to shut down the LCA offense and take control of the field, finishing the game in a 8-1 win. We felt confident coming off of two big goal scoring games. 

On Sunday, we bundled up for a historic moment in Montrose history: it was the first time that Montrose had made it to the NEPSAC finals since 2012. We knew this would be a tough game, but we were hungry for the win against St. Andrews School. Seconds into the game, Bella Prunier ‘24 slipped on a patch of ice, and the refs and coaches stopped the game in order to see if they could find a safer field. After about thirty minutes, both teams and all the fans walked back through the woods to a grass field that  was available. The refs blew the whistle to start the game for the second time, and Montrose kicked off. The game was very physical and tense with both teams desperate to score the first goal. After a competitive but scoreless first half, Ellie Poulos ‘27 scored the first goal of the game. St. Andrews responded quickly, tying the game 1-1. Senior Wendy Jacobi slit a great ball through to Poulos who converted a clever finish. In the last minutes of the game, Poulos scored another goal to complete the hat trick. The ref blew the final whistle to end the game 4-1. The Montrose team was thrilled and rushed to keeper Keira Pek ‘25 to celebrate the win. 

This season would not have been possible without our coaches, Emily and Lauren, who pushed us to work hard in each practice, while also making sure we had lots of fun. They were committed to helping us grow individually and as a team, and it is clear that their efforts paid off. 

We say goodbye to our two seniors, Wendy Jacobi and Ava Ryan, but we know that they will do amazing things next year. The team looks strong for next season with eight returning juniors and many talented underclassmen. 

We are looking forward to a great season next fall!


By Cate Lynch ‘24, Sports Editor