The Student Newspaper for Montrose School

National Honor Society Induction Recap

Jenna McCarthy '19, News Editor

Selected members of the Class of 2019 have recently been inducted into the Detore Chapter of the National Honor Society. The National Honor Society, also known as NHS, supports the four pillars of scholarship, character, leadership, and service. Four senior students who have leadership positions for each pillar wrote and presented speeches about their pillar at the Induction.

Kiran Kottapalli ‘18 is the scholastic leader of NHS at Montrose. In her speech she explains, “The pillar of scholarship stands for academic curiosity and hunger. A true scholar does not stop with a simple answer. She digs and digs until she hits rock bottom, and that is when the digging really begins.” In NHS, she helps organize the tutoring program at Montrose and encourages NHS to not have a fixed mindset about grades and courses. She quotes Socrates in her speech with his view on wisdom; Wisdom is “accepting you know little to nothing.”

Aine Ford ‘18 is the leader of character in NHS. In her speech, she uses NHS’s definition of character; “what distinguishes one individual from another. It is the product of constant striving to make the right choices day after day. Students with good character demonstrate respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, caring, and citizenship in all of their actions.” the idea of growth mindset as all Montroisans are works in progress is emphasized by Nation Honor Society’s mission to encourage those to strive for greatness.

ALex Rider ‘18 is helps explain the importance of leadership in our everyday lives and how all it takes to be a leader is simply being yourself. She says, “I like to think of a good leader as a person who works with and for her people. A leader does not put herself above others, but rather, works with them on the same level. A leader is both passionate and compassionate. I believe that when a leader actively involves herself with her surrounding community, it enables the community to achieve great things, benefitting both the individual members and thus the community as a whole.” She also notes that being a leader can range from being the positive person at school to organizing a new club.

Unfortunately, leader of service Nora Clancy ‘18 could not attend the induction event, so Hannah Marino ‘18, a fellow member of the National Honor Society read her speech. The idea of giving back to those around us leads us to do community service. She quotes Albert Einstein who once said,  “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”She is a strong advocate of the tutoring program at Montrose which serves students who may be confused and struggling in a specific class. She believes, “When we serve others, extraordinary things begin to happen; it makes the servant rich by what he gives up.” Montrosians are called to serve others in various ways whether by flashing a smile, helping the homeless, and caring for the sick and elderly.

• National Honor Society Induction Recap

AP Comp Sci Leads Montrose in an Hour of Code

How to Hit Reset on the School Year and Get Back on Track

Montrosians Weigh in on New Spaces and Places

Got Writing? Submit to these Writing Contests

My Last First Day

Montrose Graduation 2017 & Full Texts of Valedictorian and Salutatorian Speeches

Dr. Mary McCleary Speaks at Cedar Wood on Professional Writing

10th Grade Montrosians Build Online App for International Bridge-Building

Showcasing Excellence in Speech

Montrosians Celebrated at Laureate and Middle School Awards

National Honor Society Induction Recap